jueves, 9 de agosto de 2012

Reported speech!

When we want to report or to report of what another person has said, there are two ways of doing it: using the direct speech or the reported speech.


  The reported speech, does not use the inverted commas and does not need to be a word for word. In general, when the reported speech is used, the verbal time changes. Sometimes it is used "that" in the affirmative and negative phrases to introduce what another person has said. On the other hand, in the interrogative phrases it is possible to use "if" or "whether".


Example:


*  " We went to the movies last night," he said. 
     He told me they had gone to the movies last  night.

*  "I was working late last night," Vicki said.
      Vicki told me she'd been working last night.

*  Heather said, "I've already eaten." 
    Heather told me that she'd already eaten.

*  " I've been studying English for two years," he said.
      He said he'd been studying English for   two years.

*  "I'd been to Chicago before for work," he said.  
    He said that he'd been to Chicago before for work.

 * She said, "I'd been dancing for years before the accident." 
    She said she'd been dancing for years before the accident.

No hay comentarios:

Publicar un comentario